Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Calling for backup.


So, I am in Praiano, and my friend Deb joined me here on Sunday. The Amalfi coast is more beautiful than any place I have ever been. It's stunning. And stunningly steep. I thought the stairs of Vernazza kicked my ass, but this town is so steep that when I checked into this rental house, Mr. Tony got me all settled and then said, "When do you want to go to the market? I will send a car, you will shop, and they will bring you back home." It's so f'ing steep here that even restaurants will come pick you up for dinner because if you don't have a car or scooter, there is no way you can really get around.

So the downside is that it's not that easy to go get gelato. The upside is that the views are magnificent.

God bless Deb, because she brought her computer. So, this is the first German-glare-free internet moment I have had since I got to Italy. And today, right now, is the first time I have been able to use it because our wireless was broken until this morning, when Mr. Tony said he would call a guy to come fix it. And who shows up? The police. And frankly, I thought they were here to arrest us because we're very low on toilet paper and I vaguely remember Deb proudly showing me a fist full of TP swiped from the restaurant bathroom and after that bottle of wine I thought that was hilarious, but also awesome, because we really need it. And then I saw the policeman coming up and I thought, "They know. We're busted." But he was the internet guy. The police showed up to fix our internet. I suppose it only makes sense that a guy who can unstick notorious Amalfi coast traffic jams can also unstick the interwebs for the hopeless TP-thieving American girls up on the hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment