Friday, January 8, 2010

More Le Creuset research and a 2010 resolution.


Someone made a comment about Staub in the last post and I checked it out. That research led me to heated debates on the plastic Le Creuset lid handle which shouldn't be put in an oven. I thought this was a deal-breaker until I learned that you can either cook with it (many people do, rules be damned) or you can unscrew it and replace it with a stainless steal handle which you can buy as an accessory on Amazon, at Sur Le Table, or wherever. So that settles it because I've fallen in love with the carribean blue Le Creuset.



That leads me to this:

Why am I buying a french oven? Well, it seems like such a workhorse for making great food. And one of my resolutions for this year is to learn to master 12 really delicious dishes. I need to expand my repertoire. I make about 3 yummy dishes, but I make nothing that is truly special.

So imagine my horror when I learned I would be making Christmas Eve dinner (and New Year's Eve dinner, for that matter) and I realized I didn't have a go-to dish to make for 8 hungry people. I ended up making spaghetti with meatballs (tasty homemade meatballs, but still... what is this? 1950?). Then for New Year's, having exhausted my one big-feed dish (pasta), we gave up on cooking altogether, plopped 8 crabs on the table, and went at it like animals.

It's clear that I need to master better dishes if I want to have any kind of respectable adult life.


So tell me: What should I learn to make? Post to comments, please. Or tell me what your go-to dishes are when you are cooking for two, or when you are cooking for 6.


Photo from epicurious.com. RIP Gourmet...

No comments:

Post a Comment