Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Reader mail: sofa fabric


Hey Decorno,

I need some feedback to make sure I don't make a big decorating mistake.

Redoing my living room (a very, very, very belated farewell to RA Shabby Chic!) and the first purchase will be a sectional. Not the prettiest piece of furniture, but it is the most functional choice for our lifestyle. I have a black dog and a fawn dog - pugs - which you probably know means they live on the couch, shed like mad and leave curious little stains behind. I also have a husband who has been known to spill a thing or two. Me? Thanks, I am perfect.

I am stumbling on the best choice for fabric. I am looking for something that will look nice for the next 10 years?! After living with slipcovers, which offer about as much stain protection as a Q-tip to grape juice and, hence require constant washing, I need to move to upholstery. What is the best choice? Color-wise I want to go with solid off-white or a light stone/taupe. I know: bad choice but I get bored easily and want to have a light, neutral room so I can simply switch out bold/colorful pillows and accessories and deal with my fickleness inexpensively. For fabric, I am being told leather (I can see the scratches already and that cold fabric would almost make me cave and buy a Snuggie) or ultra-suede (which I like but it seems like it would tear easily and act as Velcro to pet hair). The sales people and decorator giving me this advice do not have pets of their own. I would love to hear firsthand what stands up the best.

I am on a budget and looking at Mitchell Gold and Room & Board and both seem to carry the basics.

Please help me off the ledge I have been standing on for 3 months.

Thanks,

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment