Friday, December 11, 2009

Stacks of books as end tables?


Nick Olsen's old place.


From the official Decorno mail bag:


Hi Decorno,

My husband and I just moved into a 50 square meter apartment. Our living/dining room is 3.85 x 3.95 meters (12.6 x 12.9 ft). Quite small for us. We have a love for books and have many books. But there is no wall space for storage, unless we use the one piece of wall for a book shelf, which I'd rather use for pictures. I had seen, some time ago, people using books as decoration or as end tables. Like THIS, only using real books and stacked neatly.

I'm wondering a couple things...do people actually do this or is it just in magazines? If people actually do this, what do they do to keep the books from getting tipped over? We have a dog and I can just see having company over and they set down a nice glass of red wine and the dog tips the books over...books everywhere, wine everywhere, broken glass!

I should probably also say that we want to be able to access these books, so I am not down with gluing or drilling them together.

I'd send a pic of our place, but it looks like a box explosion right now.

Comments and ideas from your readers would be good too, I think.

Thanks!

Lisa



Decorno says:

Hi Lisa - some people do this. Like Nick Olsen or kids on The Selby. But like you, I have dogs. And I am clumsy. I think a stack of books as a coffee table a fine idea for stylists and single, pet-less designers, but for you and me, the idea of setting our wine down on a giant Jenga is probably a bad idea.

That Amazon find is also a bad idea. Just for the record. As with things like Darfur, and gay marriage, it's necessary for me to take a stand on important issues, and on that particular table, I am saying no.

Now, here's the lame part of my advice giving. (I am no Ann Landers.) I don't really know how to solve your problem. But I bet readers of this blog will have a bunch of good ideas. We may need you to send in a photo, though. That's the best way for us to help. (We're such givers!)

Love,
Decorno


Lisa sent in this photo:

No comments:

Post a Comment