Thursday, November 13, 2008

Drams.


I got this email today. Thought I would throw it out there. Read it, then my comments following, and let me know what you think. Especially if your name is Glen Senk.



Dear Decorno,

I've never emailed you before, but I am an avid reader of your blog. I'm a fellow Seattleite, and I don't know where I was going with that...but your blog rocks. Anyway, I'm writing you because I don't know where else to turn to, and we need to do a MAJOR expose on the evil empire known as Anthro. I have a friend (totally reliable source) who used to be a manager there, and here is his horrifying tale: After the store had had furniture and accessories for a long time, and after they had been slightly marked down on sale and not sold, he had to take the merchandise and mark it down to "ten cents" (I'm assuming for bookkeeping purposes). After that, he had to take it in the back room and DESTROY it. He says: "I've literally taken a hammer to plates, thousand-dollar chandeliers and more." Even the vintage stuff. If he had taken it home without destroying it, he would have been fired. If he had given it to a co-worker, he would have been fired. Do you want to know why they have this outrageous policy? Two words (their words): "Brand Integrity." They couldn't mark it down so low that people could "expect to walk in to Anthropologie and find a deal."

I nearly died when I heard this story. Can you freakin' believe that? Perhaps we (or you, via your blog) can get the word out to boycott stupid Anthro. Or...to maybe buy everything that's on sale so that it doesn't get destroyed? Ha, I'm not sure what would be the better method. I promise I'm not a crazy...so...hopefully this doesn't make me one by being really upset at this bit of inside info.

Sincerely,

One of your loyal bitches,

S


Decorno says: Hmm. Well, here's the thing. I can totally understand not wanting to turn my Anthropologie store into Clearance Mart. Every retailer sets a lowest-price threshold and won't have merchandise on the floor under that price because (a) it's skanky for your brand... unless you are Dollar Tree and (b) every square foot of your floor space should generate a certain amount of money, so at some point, you should liquidate items. Everyone knows this is why some brands have outlet stores. Anthro isn't an outlet store kind of place, though, I imagine. I mean, once you see a crocheted Christmas ornament at an Anthro Outlet, the jig is up, right? Because you would be standing there thinking, "Oh fuck, did I really pay $14 for this? Because it's a piece of shit, just like that lame Mexican tunic from last spring."

Anyhoo, I am not sure how Anthro handles clearance items, except to say that I hope they let a manager take home a roughed-up sofa. For what little retail managers & hourly workers are paid, the least they should get is a free bent-wood chair or weird Swedish armoire that never sold, right?

If anyone from Anthropologie or Urban Outfitters is reading this, let us know your thoughts on the Great Chandelier Destruction Controversy of 2008. Let's hope sad managers aren't destroying shit in the backroom when your Conner Oberst-listening employees could use said items to trick out their pads.

-Decorno

No comments:

Post a Comment