Friday, January 30, 2009

Darker.




Crappy photos*, but you get the idea. They are actually a little darker than these photos (and the flash) suggests. And these aren't finished yet. In progress.

I'll be in NYC next week while some big things happen. My cabinets, which are piled high in my living room, will be installed. The lighting will go in (lighting I haven't decided on yet which drives me nuts. I need to figure that out tomorrow.) and the room will also be painted. So, except for my counters and the faucet, it will be pretty much done.

I know someone was scolding me in comments a post or so ago, "Floors last! Floors last! Do everything else first and do your floors last!" Look. The floors are already in progress, so no scolding. And why would I put my cabinets in on top of the shitty old non-sanded wood and THEN finish the floors at the end... and stain them? Wouldn't it get on my cabinets? I don't get it. I understand it would be nice to not having "contractors" stomping all over them, but I plan to stomp all over them soon enough anyway. With HEELS on, no less. Plus, look how tiny my kitchen is. Barely two people fit in at any given time, so it's not like a small army of contractors will be treading on the floors. This is modest project and a modest room, as I am sure you can tell from the photos.

I have to pick out some marble tomorrow. What a fucking racket that whole business is. I went to Pental to shop marble, took photos and notes. Called back to basically say, this is what I want what will is cost? And then they told me I can't buy directly from them, I need to buy from a fabricator. Ok, fine. I get it. It's like telling me I need to buy fabric from a decorator. That whole model of selling is so old and broken. I don't understand why they wouldn't just arrange and broker the whole installation and take a cut of that. Seems like a lost service/profit opportunity, but maybe I am missing something. What a hassle. Anyway, I am picking out marble, for fuck's sake, so I really should quit my bitching.


(*And speaking of crappy photos, if you would like to take non-crappy ones, HERE are tips from Paul Costello on taking better photos of interiors.)

No comments:

Post a Comment