Saturday, January 31, 2009

Light in the kitchen.

*******Before you comment, read the post, already. A number of people have commented on the ugly second fixture. If you read the post, you will see that I am posting it as an example of what I don't want. - xoxo, The Management***





We touched on this before, but how much light do I really need?

You can see from earlier photos this kitchen is smaller than some suburban bedrooms, so consider the size if you will.

We already have one light over the stove, one over the sink, and then one in the nook area near the window. It always seems like enough (but then again, it's all the we had). I will tell you that I always turned on all 3 because 2 lights was inadequate.

So in addition to this, contractor Gary put in a box for a light in the center of the kitchen so I can hang a pendant or something. Fine. Here's the deal, though, I think I can just get any ol' single-bulb lighting fixture since in my mind, the addition of this new light and some undercounter task lights will be all the light I need. Gary thinks I need a fixture with at least 3 bulbs in it. I think this will be a monstrosity because (a) the size alone will be weird [too big] and (b) it's going to limit what I can buy and I will end up with an ugly-ass fixture. Like this:




Any thoughts would help. Also, I adore the Clemsen light from Restoration Hardware (photo at top of post), but it's the kind of light that i/you/we keep seeing everywhere. I am having a tough time finding something I like that is a bit more unique, but also not overly clever or loud. I may end up going with this light, but there is a part of me that thinks "This is the polite, safe choice you make when you have no time or patience to find something better." Oy.

Help. And please send links to great options if you have ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment