Thursday, January 15, 2009

Regarding page 76 of this month's domino magazine:


...my friend emailed me this:

"Some examples of chinoiserie are borderline racist, and I did feel pain for any Asian reader seeing that. It's got an "Uncle Tom" quality....It looked like something executed in tempera paints on a day care center wall.

Honestly, I think I will let my subscription to domino lapse when it expires. Whenever I read it, I feel like the tired old uncle, babysitting the 7-year-old nieces as  they run around shrieking and hitting each other with My Little Ponys."




And then there was THIS post over at Style Noir about Sheila Bridges "Harlem Toile de Juoy" wallpaper.

So, here are the questions today, kids:

1) What do you think of Mary McDonald's room with the parasol-toting Asian figures painted on the wall?

2) Is Sheila's "Harlem Toile" wallpaper bad news?

No comments:

Post a Comment